Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Week 1 Phase 1

Holy crap! We have to eat a lot of food! And that's not counting the "optional" veggies.
At the last minute (Saturday) we decided to start Monday. A friend of mine heard about it from me and dove in without thinking and planning. Of course, she eats meat, so Phase 2 is a lot easier for her and she can find something on a menu anywhere.

Yesterday, Day 1, was "interesting." In the Minnesota sense. As in, "I didn't like it." I was on a road trip with my mother to meet some friends. We met at a restaurant. I was worried that there wouldn't be anything for me to eat.. It turned out all right. I ended up with a lovely spinach salad, with the dressing on the side (which I didn't touch). There were red onions, red peppers, and cucumbers. Sliced hard-boiled eggs. I picked out the yolks and stray black olives. And with all the red wine vinegar I could douse it in the meal was lovely. And I ate every bite. No, I didn't have enough protein. I was supposed to have 4.5 egg whites, and probably should have asked for extra hard boiled eggs. I didn't want to be too fussy. I was already being picky.

Did I fail? Yes and no. I didn't get in a gallon of water. I did drink substantially more than I ever have before. Did I eat all my meals and snacks? Yes. Just not on the assigned schedule. Was I tempted to stray? Only once. As I walked into the gas station I thought about chips - sour cream and onion or spicy nacho. And just as quickly brushed it away. I picked up juice and hard boiled eggs for my mother. Got back in the car and proceeded to eat 1.5 cups of fresh blueberries during our three hour drive home.

The amounts of food are enormous. So far, it's taking me nearly an hour to consume everything I am assigned to eat for a meal.

My husband is Mr Negativity. He has a snack late and the timing is off and he's ready to throw in the towel. I have to keep reminding him, it's not about perfection. No one is perfect. We just have to keep doing it and it will get easier. I keep telling myself "I can do anything for two days." And "I can do anything for one week." And "I can do anything for 28 days."

On Friday I can have safflower mayonnaise. And avocado! I love avocado. We can have hummus and olive oil. Meanwhile, the two most dreaded days are ahead of us. The protein packed days where we have very few options. For me it's tuna and egg whites. For my hubby it also includes smoked salmon. I'll let you know how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment