Tuesday, August 27, 2013

20 pounds less of me

Finished Day 28 last Sunday (25Aug2013) down 20 pounds from my start. I was so happy I will never do Phase 2 again. Yes, based on my current weight, I should probably do the program a few more times, although I'm happy right now with a jump start on my metabolism and a plan for healthier eating.

As a vegetarian, I always assumed I was making healthy choices already. And I was, compared to the average American diet. It was not enough once peri-menopause kicked in. The soy and wheat were probably the biggest issues, although I'm sure corn contributed. Soy and corn are the two hardest things to avoid, unless you have time to bake your own bread and make your own mayonnaise. The third hardest thing is added sugars (often corn based!). The corn and soy growers have done a fabulous job of convincing everyone that they should be part of every product. My most recent example as a part of this diet is tuna fish. Try to find commercial tuna that is not packed in soy. The "water-packed" tuna is actually packed in a soy-based broth. The oil-packed tuna is packed in soybean oil. Mayonnaise is the same. Unless you buy the expensive ($15/jar) health food store safflower mayonnaise, it is all soy-based. So I was getting much more soy than I was aware of, and we were eating mainly soy-based protein. What in the world would someone who has an allergy to soy do?

I'm already planning for my first alcohol and sugar event this Saturday. I know I will be assaulting my liver, so I'm reading and re-reading Haylie's rules for living. I want to enjoy myself, and I'm going to :0

No comments:

Post a Comment